Thursday, August 13, 2009

And Football starts....now!! (sort of)


The NFL Preseason starts today and at 7:30pm, my Washington Redskins will take on crosstown "rivals" the Baltimore Ravens. I has been dubbed the "Battle of the Beltways", although that just seems to be a rivalry conjured up by the sport news outlets in here in the area. In reality, true Redskins and Ravens fans really don't see each other as rivals. A true Ravens fans cares more about beating the Browns and the Steelers, just as I would care more about the Redskins beating the Cowpokes or the Giants. Still I'm excited about the game and look forward to seeing some of the first teamers on offense get some reps in against a tough Ravens defense, especially I want to see how Jason Campbell looks in a real game situation and if the offensive line can keep him upright for the season. I'm also curious to see our defensive rookies Orakpo and Jarmon, especially to see how Orakpo is handling his duties as linebacker.

I've been thinking about my somewhat obsession with football and how it all started. I guess I've always been around big time sports fans in my life. Growing up in South America, where soccer is HUGE, I always liked the passion that fans had for their teams, whether it was the professional leagues or the country's team. I must say though, that I wasn't that crazy about soccer (futbol for my Spanish-speaking brethren), but I followed suit because that was the norm. I do remember attending a futbol game when I was a kid, and I truly enjoyed the experience. I also remember seeing the national team playing abroad, and being amazed at how the entire country just stopped on its tracked and focus on that particular game. It was quite an experience.

Well, fast-forward a few years and I find myself in a new country (U.S.) and (finishing) growing up in the DC area. I believe it was in middle school where I was introduced to football...being new at the sport I sucked at it big time. I remember thinking that the safest spot for me to be at was at snapper, well except that I fumbled the snap and was sent to the sidelines by the kid playing QB (Ethan Albright would not have been proud). My good friend George intrduced me to the Redskins, and I remember being very puzzled at watching the whole thing. I always thought that football was a sport were people always ended up in a pile after hitting each other. I remember being puzzled at the concept of punting and thinking (in Spanish) "why are they giving up the ball to the other team?" But I slowly learned the basic concepts of the game. Playing Madden also helped me learn the game, although I remember being very lost the first time I sat down to play the game. It was insane.

As I learned about football, I began to follow a bit the Washington Redskins during the 90-91 season. Well my following consisting of probably catching a glimpse of some of their games and listened to the local sports news talk about them. It was during that season that I got the chance to meet Mark Rypien, QB of the Redksins, who came to visit my middle school. Rypien was a nice guy, he answered lots of questions from the group. I remember someone asking him if he was as good as Montana (very funny) and someone else asking him how far he could throw the ball (pretty far). The next season (91-92) I would watch as Mark Rypien lead the Redskins to a 14-2 record and all the way to the big game. Watching the Redskins beat the Bills 37-24 in Super Bowl XXVI was a thrilled, and it started my obsession with football and all things Redskins. Ever since then things have been up and down (mostly down) for the Redskins. But over the years I've develop a pretty good (and useless) football knowledge. Now I'm a bit of a football fiend, you can find me reading ESPN.com, NFL.com, Redskins Insider, Adam Schefter on Twitter, and any other football outlet pretty constantly. About a year ago, I found the fan forum Warpath.com, a pretty cool site with some knowledgeable people about football and the Redskins. I've become a regular of the site, and it has helped me survive the football offseason this year. So there it is...and insight to my obsession with football. Here's to the beginning of football (sort of) and may the Redskins have a good season!

No comments:

Post a Comment