Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Method to my Insomniac-ness

Although I haven't decided what this blog will be all about (probably sports and whatever I feel like writing about) I do want to talk about my Insomnia. Well I don't think I have a terrible case, but I've had this issue since my years as an undergrad. For some reason back in my younger days of university life, I had a horrible sleeping schedule. I stayed up for no reason, and it appeared that everyone in my dorm did the same thing. Four years of this screwed up sleeping schedule caused me to become a quasi-insomniac. It's been many years since I graduated from undergrad, and well throughout those years, I have continued to suffer from "I'm staying up for no f'ing reason" syndrome.

So how does this happen? Well, let's see...TV, Instant Messenger, Facebook, ESPN.com, The Warpath, graduate school, Wikipedia, Xbox 360, worrying about finances, concerns from work, and just a lack of discipline are some of the many reasons why stay up. Well, I don't stay up ALL night and actually I sorta have a bedtime of 2:00 AM...but when you have to get up in the morning at around 7:00 AM, that's very little sleep. Typically if I'm worried about something, that bedtime becomes 3:00 or 4:00 AM. For most of the time, it upsets me that this sleeplessness happens. When I stay up for no reason, I'm mad at myself for not sleeping; when I'm worried about something, well I'm upset already; and when I actually try to go to sleep and can't, it just pisses me off (well when I actually make an effort).

Well another reason why I sleep so little are two things...caffeine and the weekends. I drink a lot of coffee, and I think it does a good job at getting me going during the weekdays. And of course during the weekends, I sleep A LOT! Usually my wake up time during the weekends is after 10:30 AM (sometimes even later). I sort of feel that this makes up for my sleeplessness during the weekdays, but well that's just something I tell myself. Well I'm sure some people out there that have it worst. I mean after all I do sleep at most 5 hours every night...and then there are the times during the weekend when I sleep. Well actually now in my older age, I do sometimes find myself going to sleep at...8:00 PM!! Well I think as I get older, my body is going to start realizing that I can't just sleep 5 hours. So here's to us night owls!

No comments:

Post a Comment